Survey: Young people’s use of New Literacies
A total of thirty-three students, (17 females and 16 males) completed our survey. Key findings were as follows.
- 93% of students aged between 14 and 16 own a mobile phone
- Over 50% used SMS text messenging three or more times a day
- 93% of students have access to a home computer
- Over half spent between 2 and 10 hours a day on the computer
- 83% used their home computer for internet access
- 66 % used the internet for games
Due to their popularity with the young people surveyed, three key topics were selected to explore in the classroom. These were: 1) SMS text language, 2) web sites and Internet use, 3) games.